Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Long Scarf is Long

 There is a time in every knitter's life when they become confident in their mad skillz and want to show them off to the world.
Usually a while before they have any actual skills.
I'm no different, so I was thrilled when Mr. Mechanicalpenguin (aka the man in my life) asked me to knit him a scarf.
Not just any old scarf, but a scarf of awesome nerdery.
A Longcat Scarf.
if you don't know what a longcat is, I recommend you get out from under that internet rock you've been living under and prepare to waste a day (or week) on icanhascheezburger.com. Go on. I'll wait.
How was it?
That's right. The place where hilarious kitten photos and bad grammar birth internet memes is also the source of longcat, the perfect scarf adornment.
This scarf not only proclaims one's nerdery to the wider world, it also came with a new (to me) technique: double knitting.
Double knitting basically produces a double-sided, reversible fabric by alternating knits and purls with two yarns at the same time.
Once you get into the rhythm, it's surprisingly addictive, if rather slow going.

I knit most of the scarf in the car to and from the snow on our annual trip to Mount Hotham, our home mountain, for a weekend of skiing and snowboarding.
The scarf is made from cheap acrylic yarn, so it's not overly warm, but Mr. Meachanicalpenguin proclaimed it perfect, and proceeded to wear it to work the day after it was finished.
Success!

No comments:

Post a Comment